Trying to find the best dog shock collar can be very difficult. As the popularity of shock collar for dogs increases, more and more products are being released each claiming to be better than their competitor. This has led to a vast array of dog shock collars so we created this website to help you choose the dog shock collar that is right for you.
What is the Best Dog Shock Collar?
How Does A Dog Shock Collar Work?
Shock collars for dogs have been in operation since the early 60s, as they were used as a method for keeping wild hunting dogs under control. Fast foward half a century and the majority of dog shock collar products are made use of to halt a vast array of unwanted behavior in domestic dogs. This behavior can take the form of too much barking, or excessive aggression when it comes to food. Sometimes, it is used to keep young dogs within the confines of the property to stop them wandering off, so increasingly the dog shock collar is being used for safety purposes aswell.
It is important to note that shock collars for dogs are not to be used as a punishment for your canine. It should be seen more as a deterrent to remedy and reduce unwanted behavior. The dog will quickly learn that the shock they receive from the collar is associated with the behavior they exhibited, and they will more than likely stop that behavior in order to prevent additional shocks.
Officially licensed products that are available on the market are proven to administer shocks which are safe. It is important to only buy these shock collars for dogs from reputable retailers. The last thing you want to do is to put your dog at risk from buying a sub-standard product.
Dog shock collars often come with different grades of enforcement. This means you can give the appropriate level of punishment when the dog exhibits the unwanted behavior. As an example, some dog shock collar products produce an audible beep with an accompanying vibration to act as warning for the dog. If the dog fails to take this warning on board, then a shock can be delivered safely to your dog.
When you are using the shock collar for the purposes of boundary training (sometimes more commonly known as as the invisible fence), the shock collar is able to administer a shock when the dog passes wires that are placed underground along the outer most regions of the boundary you’d like to keep.
The various dog shock collars on sale issue differing levels of shock intensity which is initiated by a two pronged attachment which is integrated into the collar. Say you are using the shock collar for the purposes of limiting the amount of barking your dog does. The shock collar for dogs reacts to the tiny vibrations that the vocal cords of the canine produce when barking and administer a shock for that behavior.
Advantages of Shock Collar For Dogs
- Intensity adjustment of shock – The vast majority of collars allow you to set the collar in the warning mode which issues a warning beep, or the shock mode which administers a shock when the unwelcome behavior is expressed. It is possible to adjust the strength of the shocks passed onto the dog. For example, it is important not to give too big a shock to a small dog. Or, if the dog is using the shock collar for the first time, a small shock may be enough to prevent the behavior. It is important to consider the dogs wellbeing. Many people have considered using spray collars. These collars produce a sharp blast of air up the dog’s nose which is unpleasant in odour, aswell as feeling. These sort of collars are not adjustable.
- Almost instant results – A sizable majority of dog owners have reported to us that they only required to use the shock collar a few times before the unwelcome behavior was reduced. Then, they only used the beep mode to prevent a recurrence of the behavior. It is important to add that each dog is different.
- Hands off operation – If you are using your shock collar for the control of compulsive barking, the dog shock collar can work even when you’re out the house. It is common for bouts of barking to occur when the owners of the dog leave the property, due to the dog not liking being left alone and becoming stressed. Many of you will be looking to buy a shock collar to prevent more complaints from your neighbors to prevent this barking when you are away from home. This “hands off” feature works for boundary control aswell. Although we’d recommend not to leave your dog on its own for a prolonged period of time!
- Price – A dog shock collar is a lot cheaper than hiring a dog behavioral specialist or constructing a fence. Shock collars are priced anywhere from $25 to about $200, depending on the level of features that you require. The price varies based upon features such as remote control capabilities, the functionality to adjust the strength of the warning and shocks administered, aswell as the range at which the dog shock collar works.
Disadvantages of Dog Shock Collar Products
- Ethical Issues – Dogs are part of our families and for many of us, the thought of administering shocks to our canines is unbearable. If you are worried about this, make sure you buy a shock collar that comes with an adjuster which allows you to modify the strength of the shock given.
- Over correction – It is common sometimes for some lower end shock collars and invisible fences to produce shocks unintentionally which would end up confusing your dog.
- No positive reward – It is important to note that dog shock collars unfortunately don’t reinforce positive behavior with an accompanying reward. By reward we mean giving affection, or a treat. This means the shock collar doesn’t reward positive behavior from the dog. It is vitally important to the development of your dog and their behavior to reinforce excellent behavior with an accompanying reward.